Our Core Mandate
The population of Nairobi is experiencing a growth of 5% per annum with an estimation of 7.5 million (day population) and 4.3 million (night population). The population growth has led to urban-sprawl as land resources within the city diminish pushing the population further away from the centre into the peri-urban region and the satellite towns.
Challenges resulting from urban sprawl in urban management coupled with the inter-dependency of Nairobi city with the neighboring NMA counties for key services including, housing, food, water and health has led to high transportation needs with daily Commuter trips constituting the biggest percentage of all transportation needs.
The Authority's Mandate Include:
Integrated Public Transport
- Oversee establishment of an Integrated Public Transport within Nairobi Metropolitan Area.
- Integrated Public Transport Strategy and Urban Mobility Plan.
- Public Transport Policy formulation and implementation .
Mass Rapid Transit System
- Declare Transport Corridors.
- Oversee & implement an Integrated Mass Rapid Transit System Strategy.
- A robust Bus Rapid Transit System and Commuter Rail.
- Relevant MRTS studies (routes, corridors, networks & service levels).
- Formulation of additional Standards for MRTS.
- Development and operation of transport infra, facilities and works.
- Inventory of Declared Road Network within NMA.
- Optimal utilization of intermodal transport (air, road, rail & NMT).
- Strategy for overall traffic flow improvement.
- Programmed traffic engineering.
- Improvement of traffic management works within the NMA.
- Approval of traffic management schemes and access along corridors.
- Better use of existing road space & reduction of construction of new roads.
- Contract with public and private sector for Infrastructure, services, facilities and works.
- Sustainable financing mechanisms.
- Contract with service providers for MRTS Rolling Stock, Operators and Routes.