Bus Rapid Transit
The Ministry of transport infrastructure housing and urban development in 2014 commissioned a study that harmonized the MRTS corridors and came up with five BRT corridors and four commuter rail corridors.In 2019, the Nairobi Metropolitan Area (NMA) Council gazetted the following BRT corridors:
- LINE 1 NDOVU Limuru - Kangemi - CBD - Imara Daima - Athi River – Kitengela
- LINE 2 SIMBA Rongai - Bomas (Langata Rd) - CBD - Ruiru - Thika – Kenol
- LINE 3 CHUI Tala - Njiru – Dandora (Juja Rd) - CBD –Showground (Ngong Rd) – Ngong
- LINE 4 KIFARU Mama Lucy Hospital - Donholm (Jogoo Rd) - CBD - T Mall - Bomas - Karen – Kikuyu
- LINE 5 NYATI Ridgeways (Kiambu Rd) - Balozi (Allsops) - Imara Daima
Bus Rapid Transit Projects Status
This project is proposed under under the Expressway project being implemented by KeNHA
The project alignment is along Thika Superhighway from Ruiru to Kenyatta National Hospital through Nairobi CBD, totalling 27 km. The project commenced on 4th August, 2020 and is being undertaken by STECOL Corporation in joint venture with SMEDI.
The project will be implemented in two phases;
- Phase I: Clayworks – Kenyatta University – Githurai – Kasarani – Pangani Underpass – Murang’a Road – Globe Cinema Overpass – Tom Mboya Street – Moi Avenue (approximately 20 km).
- Phase II: Ruiru – Membley Junction – Clayworks section (approximately 3 km) and Moi Avenue – Haile Selassie Avenue – Kenyatta National Hospital (approximately 4 km).
The project involves, among others, the following;
- Construction of dedicated BRT lanes (20.18 km).
- Construction of 13 No. intermediate BRT stations including conversion of existing 10 No. footbridges along Thika Road into BRT stations.
- Construction of BRT terminal at KNH and depots at Ruiru and Kasarani.
- Construction of a transfer station at Nairobi Railway Station.
- Construction of Non-Motorized Transport (NMT) facilities along the corridor.
- Provision of automatic traffic signals for Pangani Underpass.
BRT Line 2 Pilot Project-Kasarani Depot
Excavation of base foundations for the Maintenance Workshop Building.
Concreting the Blinding layer of concrete for the Business Centre Management.
Concreting a base foundation for the Business Management Centre.
Compacted 4th Layer of murram in the BRT Waiting Corridor.
Compacted 8th Layer of Murram for the BRT waiting Corridor.
The blinding layer for foundations for the Maintenance Workshop.
BRT Line 2 Pilot Project-Safari Park Station
Concreting the Foundation Beams facing Ruiru Direction.
Excavation of the beam foundations for the CBD direction BRT Platform..
Excavation of the beam foundations for the CBD direction BRT Platform.
Dandora – CBD – Hospitals detailed design ongoing
Balozi – Imara Daima under Korea funding